Officers & Directors
Five Avenues of Service
You Tube Channel
Local Grants Program
Tools of the Trade
Family Literacy Project
Becoming A Member
Middletown Rotary Club
June 12, 2018
Co- President Kevin Wilhelm brought the meeting to order at 12:15 pm with song and pledge.
Reflection (Lois): “We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special.” Stephen Hawking
- John Zuromski, guest of Dan
- Ellie Duey, guest of Cheryl, and her stepmother
- No Visiting Rotarians today
- Thank you letter from St. Vincent de Paul’s for receiving Service Above Self awards.
- Jim Seagrave leaving the Club; Carmela will take his place on the Board.
- Cheryl: Passing of the Gavel dinner on Tuesday, June 26th. It will be at the regular meeting time, but a special –and more formal- luncheon with flowers and dessert. Gary Gomola will officiate. Fifteen service pins will be presented. Cost will be $25.
Guaranteed Card Winners:
King of Clubs:
- Kevin: for three kids home at same time, a rarity.
- Helene: for fine weather, Chris Soulias’ help on budget
- Carmela: for joining Board of Directors
- Chris: for Middlesex Chamber Awards night & his grandson Craig Allen receiving award; for Wilfredo Nieves, retiring and planning to rejoin our Club
- Adrienne Maslin: for Open House at Middlesex College on July 19th
- Kandyce –forwarding message from Eric, looking for speakers for Dec. and January. Also, a sad dollar that she has resigned from MARC and will be leaving the Club. Tuesday was always her favorite day of the week because of Rotary; she will be missed!
- Cheryl: for Ellie, Carmela & Kandyce
- Art: for Kandyce; for using Middlesex College as a source for speakers; for a terrific movie, “The Rider”
- Joe: for our guests
- Dan: for Kandyce; welcoming John Zuromski, who is in the queue to become a Rotarian; for New Haven cinema club about which he is happy to share information
- Keith: for Kandyce, thanks for your service
Pat Tucker read the minutes from the Board meeting held on 6/5 at home of Cheryl; a few highlights:
- Directors and Officers for 2018-2019 were discussed; several candidates were proposed and approved.
- A President-Elect still needs to be selected from the Board.
- The Board voted to donate an additional $500 to Polio Plus to supplement the $860 raised by the IDS Interact Club.
- Work on the monument project in memory of Justin Wilkie continues, as well as fundraising. City continues to be very supportive.
- Board approved $500 grant for Vinal Tech Skills USA and $600 for Coalition on Housing and Homelessness.
Full set of Minutes of the Board of Directors meeting can be found on the Rotary webstite.
Chery and Kevin presented a summary of the United Way Book Drive project, details of which can be found on the UW webstite. While not a Rotary project, Rotarians can help by donating new books and helping to sort and package them. Collection sites are located in every town.
As this was a business meeting there was not guest speaker.
Meeting adjourned at 1:15 PM with the Four Way Test.
Respectfully Submitted by: